Monday, September 21, 2009

It's All My Garden


For 25 of the 32 years I lived in the Lower Keys I was a professional in the horticulture biz in one way or another. I’ve been out now for awhile and in fact turned my back on gardening for a few years. Let me tell ya it’s nice to rekindle the interest.

This little blog has helped, in that, I have been cruising some of the neighborhoods to grab images to share with you. As I drive, I come across so many properties that I once landscaped or maintained. It’s kind of strange, in tropical landscaping things change fast…REAL fast.



Hurricane Wilma sure didn’t help, not that much wind but much of the Lower and Middle Keys were overwashed with salt water. So many plants died from saltwater intrusion. Now we have the invasion of the
iguanas. Gardens have had it tough down here.

Hmmm… back to the point… the gardens I once thought of as mine have changed, the owners have changed but in some way they are still mine. Sort of like an old flame from high school, you remember them the way they were, appreciate them as they are now and you still care…even if just a little bit. So I hope you understand me when I say…it’s all my garden.



5 comments:

Charlotte Weychan said...

Oh what a joy to see such beautiful plants just driving around the neighbourhood!

Bay Area Tendrils said...

Oh...oh....oh!
I have yet to visit the Keys... Can you believe it?
How can this be?? Thanks for the virtual tour. Gorgeous environment. So glad to find you on Blotanical... a universe unto itself :~D
Alice

Autumn Belle said...

I guess we share many common plants.It is very interesting to see what others living half the world away are growing at the same time. The hibiscus is gorgeous and the last flower reminds me of the bird of paradise.

Chloe m said...

Such beauty in your neck of the "woods". I never had to deal with iguanas. What do they do to plants? And hurricanes, I guess I will take a blizzard anyday.
Rosey

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

Yes, it's all your garden. You gave those places your time, sweat, imagination, inspiration, etc. I am curious - do the iguanas cause any damage to gardens?