Sunday, September 20, 2009

Orchids and Hermits



After the normal mundane chores of the weekend I had a bit of time to look about the garden and found an orchid that I had forgotten about.

This dendrobium was a gift from a friend that I had divided and stuck one half in a Buttonwood tree (Conocaprus erectus). The half in a pot bloomed at the same time as the one in the tree but the flower spike only lasted about 2 weeks.

The tree dweller has been bloming for at least a month now. Guess it's happy and suprise...the iguanas haven't found it.

This Common Land Hermit crab (Coenobita clypeatus) was literally hanging out in one of the bromeliad blooms. How he made up there is still a mystery.Not such a common crab to me!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful blog--and oh my goodness...so different than my NC garden. Love the little crab. He'd be cold here.

Linda said...

I remember my brother bringing home a couple of hermit crabs on a family vacation to the Gulf when we were kids. We were fascinated by them.

Glad I found your blog!

Sandy @Cloud 9 said...

beautiful orchids and funny crab. i wonder what has attracted it to get all the way up there ;)

Jacqueline D'Elia said...

Love orchid and how cute is that crab!

Anonymous said...

Lucky you living it up in the Keys. I'm fascinated with your tropical delight.
Donna

Mary Delle LeBeau said...

Orchids in trees. Crab in bromeliads. Life in a Florida garden. It's so interesting and fun to read about.

Autumn Belle said...

This orchid is gorgeous. Can the crab survive up there?

Helen/patientgardener said...

Love the orchid and the crab - so different to what I have in my garden in the UK.

Olive Branch said...

What I would give to be able to grow orchids in my garden! I have to settle with the kitchen window I guess. Beautiful photos!