Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Butterfly minds


Gold Rim Swallowtail (Battus polydamus lucayus)
I’ve written about my rather poor skills at butterfly photography and so I submit these rather fuzzy images as proof.

White Peacock (Anartia jatrphae)
Photographing trees - no problem, Key Deer and iguanas – nothing to it, flowers – check (except for the sometimes bothersome wind and the fact that without my glasses I sometimes can’t see what is in focus)…


Mangrove Skipper (Phocides pigmalion okeechobee)
But butterflies…it’s like their little ectoskeleton enclosed minds merrily think of ways to torture me.

Firey Skipper (Hylephila phyleus)
So I now subject you, my gentle reader, to the mental anguish of wondering is your monitor out of focus, do you need to buy a cheap pair of reading glasses?

Queen Butterfly (Danaus gilippus)
Nope, it’s just Scott, publishing crummy, blurry butterfly images. Sorry about that, folks.

11 comments:

Charlotte said...

Really great pictures!!

Mary Delle LeBeau said...

They are actually almost all really good photographs. I love photos of the butterflies.

Carol said...

Wonderful photos Liz! I do not see fuzzy but great textures in background and interest in plant and butterfly. Brilliant! Carol

Autumn Belle said...

Oh, you manage to capture quite a number of butterflies. That's great!

Dragonfly Lady said...

I love the pictures, butterflies are often hard to capture but you did it!!
Thanks for the link exchange, we'll add you this evening to www.GardenersReach.com please visit often!

Meems said...

Scott... I love all those butterflies. They are just so fun to have around. You keep at it - it's a fun challenge to get the ones you want.
Meems @ Hoe and Shovel

Frances said...

Hi Scott, these look great to me! It means that you got to actually look at a real live butterfly as you were snapping the shutter. I love the white peacock, a very good capture too. :-)
Frances

Scott & Liz said...

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. One of these days I hope to grab that one great image. Maybe someday.
Scott

Victoria said...

What a wonderful treat!! Gorgeous...beautiful photographs!!I loove loove love butterflies!

James David said...

You really got patience chasing those butterflies with your camera!!

Nell Jean said...

It takes incredible patience to get a clear picture of a butterfly. I always figure 5 that can be easily identified in the pic, out of 100, to be a good day in the sun.

There are a few, like Zebra Swallowtails, that seem to like to pose and after a while, relax and let you snap away, and a larger number like the dogface sulphurs, that delight in running to hide when you appear, flitting out to run again while you're trying to focus.

It's all fun. Marvelous pics, all.