Thursday, September 24, 2009

Key West Weird


Key West always so magical and…well, weird. For those of you that don’t know this island city, well, Google is your friend. Let me just say that from a tropical plantsman’s point of view this odd city is without compare in the continental United States.

First off, this town is populated by an eclectic group of folks. Throw-back hippies and wealthy sports fisherman bend elbows together at any number of watering holes. The examples could be endless but one thing is clear – normal rules don’t apply here and that goes for landscaping as well.

When I first began landscape design and installation there were a myriad of guidelines that seemed correct to follow and are, for most places. Key West is different, huge Ficus trees dominate postage stamp yards, their aerial taking hold in tiny sidewalk cracks and lifting the concrete slabs. Plants jammed in on top of one another with the law of survival firmly in place, except no plant ever seems to give up but finds it own little niche to survive in.

The gingerbread festooned Conch houses are the perfect backdrop to this riotous form of tropical gardening. When I’m out and about seeking pix for this blog I usually try to key all signs of human habitation out of the frame, however the often the wooden shutters or shiplap siding of Key West homes add a certain charm to the images.


I had to run down to Key West the other day to take care of some business for the youth oriented nonprofit org. that I am the Exec. Dir. of…my day job, when not masquerading as a simple garden blog writer. This gave me the chance to grab some images I thought I might share. Welcome to Key Weird…

9 comments:

Amy said...

I live in Austin where people wear shirts that say...Keep Austin Weird. I enjoyed your post!

James David said...

Hi, Just visited your lovely interesting blog and blotanical plot.

I recognise most of the tropical plants in your blog too. Its truly magical to have these plants.

Autumn Belle said...

I like the 2 big trees in the first photo. The branches are so big and strong, I think I can build a tree house there. How nice.

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

We've been to Key West several times and we love it! I agree with you - it's weird! There is no other place like it. I love walking around it and looking at the houses, plants and yes, people. What a crowd! I feel down to earth there, relaxed and just happy. Thanks for the post!

tina said...

I once stopped by there on my way to the Bahamas on a cruise. My friend and I had a super good time in Key West and truly liked the ambience-not the humidity. Sloppy Joes was most fun as were the widow walks. I could not even imagine ficuses so big they rip out sidewalks but know it happens.

Mary Delle LeBeau said...

I enjoy hearing about nature in your part of world. Keep bringing it on.

Anonymous said...

Key Weird...cute! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Scott, finally got around to checking out some new garden blogs, and loved yours! Hope to be a Florida garden blogger some day when we retire, till then, we hang out in Central Ohio trying to turn a barren new home lot into a garden. Having some success, but long way to go.

Teresa said...

Weird or not, you have tropical plants, and weather and lifestyle there. Sounds good to me. I enjoyed reading your post