Thursday, October 15, 2009

GBBD October 15

A great big smokin’ hot THANKS to May Dreams Garden for starting Garden Bloggers Bloom Day. A way cool Idea for showing off what’s bloomin in our gardens on the 15th. of the month.





At Liz and my little piece of the “rock” one of my favorite, due to necessity, ground covers are goin’ gangbusters. The lowly Madagasgar Periwinkle also known as Vinca minor. Good stuff because the Key Deer and iguanas leave it alone but not so good because it is considered to be an Invasive Exotic down here. They do self-seed like crazy. I have only seen them wild on disturbed sites, never on pristine habitat.

I grabbed a couple of pix of our Jatropha integerrima before the loppers got to it. I really should have cut it back a month ago but…so it goes. This is the land of Manana.

Ruellia brittoniana has come up as a volunteer, it figures, with purple being Liz’s favorite color this one would be pink, on the other hand the purple Ruellia has gotten really, really common here so I’m cool with the pink.

Our Dwarf pink Ixora or Petite Pink hybrid is going through a flush of blooms, tough little guy that lives in a pot, gets forgotten about but hangs in there.

The Plumeria rubra (who knows what cultivar) is starting to shed leaves and the blooms are becoming fewer and fewer.

Our Orange Gieger(Cordia sebestana) is still throwing flowers but at a slower pace than earlier this summer. But now for the good news, those 2 words I so dearly love…COLD FRONT. One is supposed to swing in on Saturday morning dropping the high temps into the mid eighties and the lows into the low seventies for two glorious days of low humidity…SWEET!!!

8 comments:

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

Blooming day is bright and cheerful in your part of the country! Vinka minor is invasive in my garden, it starts new roots where the stems touch the ground. I should admit that it's gorgeous when in bloom, and the bigger the area which it covers, the better. The Orange Gieger is hot, hot, hot!Enjoy your so called cold front!

Carol Michel said...

What are these tropical blooms in the sunshine? So foreign to me now in the fall. But very nice to see and brighten up an otherwise cloudy day here in the midwest.

Thanks for joining in for bloom day!

Carol, May Dreams Gardens

Mary Delle LeBeau said...

All those nice tropical blooms. Just great, Scott.

islandgal246 said...

Periwinles are fine for me I just gave to ignore them and they will flourish. Ruellia I hate with a passion...sooooo invasive! EEK! just killed a baby centipede on my computer desk. Do you get them in the Keys?

Noelle Johnson said...

Hello Scott,

I love your Vinca. I am getting ready to pull mine out and replace with winter annuals.

We grow Ruellia brittoniana 'Katie' as you have pictured. It does not look very good here in the winter though because we get to be too cold.

Autumn Belle said...

I love periwinkles and I have all those shown here. I have not seen a dwarf pink ixora before. Your blooms are doing great.

Unknown said...

Love the glowing photo of the plumeria...I've got a peachy-pink one!

Meems said...

It is so great to see flowers I recognize with ease. Vincas are a great standby bloomer aren't they! They come back year after year in the strangest places... much like my impatiens do... kind of like really pretty weeds.

I'm liking that cute pink ixora... don't think I've seen that one up this far north. ha.