Friday, October 16, 2009

BPBS...Rocks!


Don’t ya just hate it when your writing muse decides to take a break and your self-imposed deadline is looming…sigh.



Last night was the first Big Pine Botanical Society meeting of the year. If you have read this blog before you may remember that I am a past president of this very cool group of people. By cool, I mean they all have dirt under their fingernails. Shorts and flip flops tend to be the standard attire, not so much with golf shirts or skirts.



A grand time was had by all and of particular interest to me was the number of Gen Y attendees(what with that topic being a current blog whirlwind). I did my heart good to see these younger folks hanging out after the meeting, munchin’ on the snacks, and talkin’ plants.



No pretenses are put on by this group, just honest down to earth discussion. Not a single clique developed in the corner of the room, in fact the unofficial motto of this club is “We’re not your Mama’s garden club”.



So in honor of this friendly group and the fact that I can’t think of anything witty to write, let me just lay these warm tropical landscape images on ya. Big Pine Botanical Society…you guys rock!

16 comments:

Amy said...

I love that tropical in the last photo! I like the blooms.

Noelle Johnson said...

Hello Scott,

What type of plant is that in the last photo? I just love the flower.

PS. I put on my blogroll too :)

Mary Delle LeBeau said...

More of those great tropical shots. I wish we had a group like that down here.

Kathy said...

Sounds like my kind of group! How do you get the dirt out from under your fingernails? Yes, what is that last flower?

Teresa said...

Your photos are great! Sounds like a fun bunch of gardeners to hang out with. are

Bangchik and Kakdah said...

I feel very much at home looking at your photos ... bangchik of Malaysia.

Scott & Liz said...

The best I can do for the last flower is that I believe it to be a Calliandra spp.
It is possible that it's a Mimosa spp.
The tree is fairly small 12'-15' and I have no idea of it's current age. Sorry thats the best I can do for now.
Scott

Blossom said...

When I look at all your flowers here, I wonder if you live in Malaysia 'cause I have all those in my garden ...

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

I join the group and wonder what is the guy on the last photo. As for the "not your mama's garden club", good for them! Our garden club was almost "your mama's..." and guess what? we don't have a club anymore. You have a great Sunday! Silly me, each day is great there! Location, location, location!

Marie said...

Great blooms an photos. I always envy people who live in the keys - lush gardens, party places, and gorgeous water. I conveniently
forget about the heat. LOL

Loved the post on "Trap". So true. Happy GBBD.

Rebecca @ In The Garden said...

Just stopping in to say 'hi'. Wonderful pictures, not this just post but all of them. So tropical, colourful and lovely. The welcome pineapples are terrific too.

Jacqueline said...

Hi Scott & Liz! Enjoyed browsing your lovely garden blog with lots of familiar tropical plants like ours in Malaysia. Hope to drop in more often when time permits.
Happy gardening and shooting...such fabulous pics seen here! :-D

Jackie / Southern Post said...

I enjoy visiting your site and reading your posts. Great photos Scott.

-Jackie

Muhammad khabbab said...

I also feel at home while digging through your blog. Glad to know about Big pine botanical society. I always encourage kids to involve in this beautiful hobby of gardening which is vanishing among them at least in our region.

janie said...

I too love to see the younger ones get involved in gardening. My own kids are some of those 'younger peoples' now getting interesting in growing for food and for pleasure. Hats off to my Daughter for marrying a farmer! LOL

What IS that second picture?

Jackie said...

Hi Scott, thanks for visiting my blog recently! I love your oncidium orchid...but it makes me jealous of your tropical weather ;)