Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Garden Trap


Spanish moss(Tillandsia usnoides)
Ahhh…a nice long weekend. Time to go boating, maybe take a couple of naps. Life is a breeze in the Florida Keys.


Liz asked me to make sure the boat is ready to go. Ok. As usual the stupid boat won’t start.

Golden Shower(Cassia fistula)
“Hey, baby, let me just put the charger on the battery for an hour or so and we’ll be ready to go.”,I tell her.


Meanwhile I’ll clean up the yard a little I innocently think…Right…I’m a gardener remember. And so it begins.

It seems on every property there is that one area that gets very little attention from the gardener…on my property there are a few of those areas. The trap was set. This section is about 25’ feet wide by 60 ‘ long and is the deepest shade on the property…the reason being... I tend to ignore it, thus it is severly overgrown.



It all started innocently enough, I walked over it to pick up an errant soccer ball. Simple enough you say grab it and walk away. The unfortunate thing was that I had a pair of Felco clippers on my hip from cleaning up a deer munched banana plant. There were a few palm fronds in my way to get at the ball, no problem just prune the offenders…wait, I can’t leave the palm lopsided, can I. I’m taking the bait. Next thing I know I’m in the midst of a pruning frenzy and the trap has been sprung.

                                       
Monstera spp.
Grab the trash cans, pull out the loppers, bring in the chipper/ shredder, time for the chainsaw. Two soaked tee shirts and several hours later I have a nice canopy to work under.


Liz again asks, “Is the boat ready?”

”Ummm, let me check…yup, fires right up. You get the boat bag, cooler and dog. I’ve just got a few more branches to cut.”


Red Ginger(Alpinia purpurata)
Twenty minutes later I watched the boat with Liz and dachshund aboard pulling away from our dock.


“Hmmm, guess she got tired of waiting, don’t blame her. Where was I, oh yeah, that sea grape tree. I can plant a ton of aroids under this shade... and ferns…yup, ferns over there and maybe an Alpinia in that sort sunny spot."... Somehow I never even noticed the trap.




 



4 comments:

Noelle Johnson said...

Okay Scott, I am so glad that I am not the only one that easily gets sucked into pruning. Once I start it is hard to stop and your post had me laughing.

Mary Delle LeBeau said...

Pruning can become addictive, especially as you see yet one more thing to prune. It's the gardener perfectionist syndrome. Must be. Ah, let it be. It's good for the garden to have that, at least, it's good for my garden aesthetic. Go Scott.

Town Mouse said...

Ah, well, you probably had just as much fun pruning as you might have boating. I like to really go for it when I get out the pruners so I don't have to do the same thing 6 months later...

Muhammad khabbab said...

I am too bad at pruning that i just dont do it. All the flowers in this post are common growing in my climate. love all the blooms. does your monstera have fragrant pineapple flowers?