Thursday, September 3, 2009

Floss Silk, Wild Allamanda



I took the morning off from garden chores to try and figure out my problems downloading images to my computer from my camera. Lo and behold it was a bad card reader and not me being a total computer illiterate.

Whats bloomin'- Tropical Exotic
While running to the store I spotted one of my favorite trees in bloom at a local dentist’s office on the Overseas Hyw. in Big Pine Key.

The Floss Silk Tree (Chorisia speciosa) is a member of the Bombacaeae family and is a South American native. This large tree has an open growth pattern with branches radiating out from a central trunk and what a trunk it is, studded with short, squat, barbacle-like thorns.

The pink and white blooms were alive with pollinators ranging from Sulphur butterflies to bees and wasps. The leaves are few during bloom allowing for pollinators easier access but what leaves there are are palmately divided with 5 or 7 leaflets.


Whats Bloomin-Native

The Wild Allamanda (Pentalinon luteum) has its 2" bright yellow flowers all year long but it is far less prolific than its non native cousins the common Allamanda (Allamanda cathartica) or the Bush Allamanda (Allamanda nerrifolia).

This sprawling vine adds a welcome bit of color to the wetland habitat where I took this photo.

That's it for now, see ya.

3 comments:

Joe said...

Since it appears that you are in a blog and photo phase, are we going on an adventure for some shots in October?

I have let my blog go and have not been on any adventures lately. Been kind of sloth because of the economy!

Scott & Liz said...

Hey Joe, sounds like a plan. Thinkin' about a bike ride on the old Loop road down on Sugarloaf. There is a good view of it on Google Earth if ya want to see it. i'll try and think of some more spots to prowl about.

Mary Delle LeBeau said...

We have the floss silk tree here. It's one of my favorites.