Monday, September 14, 2009

Butterfly Bounty Hunter


Glancing to my left through my dirt streaked truck window I spotted a black swallowtail butterfly cavorting about an orange pagoda flower.

“Aha, this is my chance.” I thought. I am notoriously bad at getting butterfly pix. Quickly pulling over, I stalked my winged prey, only to watch it fly gaily away in a westerly breeze as a diminishing looping silhouette against the blue sky.

“Sheesh, this is getting ridiculous”. My eye locked on the altitude gaining swallowtail, I took a few quick strides around the corner, emulating Dog the Bounty Hunter pursuing the stoned fugitive and crashed headlong into a brilliant yellow small tree. All thoughts of the swallowtail vanished as my trusty Canon instantly sprang up to my eye (well, sort of hovered in front of my face, LCD screen, ya know).


Tecoma stans , better known as Yellow Elder or Yellowbells or Trumpetbush or Ginger-thomas (this is why as a nurseryman I HATED common names) is a favorite plant of Liz’s.

This small tree, large shrub (take your pick but good luck trying to keep it to a single trunk) can reach 25’ and has sharply pointed, toothed , oval leaves with clusters of bell shaped yellow flowers. Boy that last description sure shows my botanical description is rusty. I promise I’ll work on that.

Spitting out a mouthful leaves I snapped a few pix and then strode purposefully back to my truck hoping knowone observed my little dance as I tried to disengage myself from this arborial attacker. Flash forward to editing my pix when I notice lo and behold I did indeed capture a long sought after butterfly image,sort of brown and plain, wings closed, kind of in focus and I of course have no earthly idea of what species it is, skipper, duskywing, hairstreak… who knows but the Bounty Hunter has his first apprehension. Butterflies…BE FOREWARNED…I’m comin’ after you.

5 comments:

Jean Campbell said...

I can appreciate the trials of trying to get butterflies to cooperate. I delete 5 for every one that 'sorta' turns out.

Today I was privileged to have not one, but 2 Giant Swallowtails visit my Tithonia. Pics go up Wednesday, after Bloom Day tomorrow.

Isn't Tecoma stans just the grandest thing? Texas gardeners introduced me to it. Mine are seed grown and I want a whole wall of them next year.

Chloe m said...

What a fresh-looking blog!
Nice photos.
Rosey

Mary Delle LeBeau said...

Chasing butterflies. A worth sport. Your writing is very engaging.

Carol said...

What a way to discover this beautiful tree... such glowing yellow blossoms... so cheery! You know since you mentioned it... the way I get photos of butterflies is to move very slowly and make sure that my shadow does not get near the flutterby. I find dragon flies impossible however. At least the swallowtail introduced you to this showy tree.

Unknown said...

I agree with Carol about moving slowly while photographing butterflies. Another thing is to let the butterfly get used to your presence. That works wonders! Good that your effort didn't go in vain.

Your skipper really stands out against that tecoma-yellow. Lovely (small) trees. In south India these are planted in large numbers in parks and roadsides.